Sunday, December 22, 2002

Current Musical Selection: Boston - More Than A Feeling

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. Im sitting here, typing in the near dark conditions; using technology from the early 1990s, listening to stereo sound technology from roughly the early 1980s, of songs recorded in the mid 1970s, while I take a break from reviewing my vinyl LP collection, which is quickly growing, of records that predate my parrents marriage. Ain't life grand?

For some reason I decided not to use my thousand-dollar pile of parts sitting next to me, and have decided to resort to using a laptop I aquired during my senior year of high school. Sure, its frustratingly slow, and the applications are so outdated its humorous [using Lotsus Notes, remember them?], and sure the hardware is comical... no Windows keys, no mouse... instead I get this funky proprietary track-ball contraption that hooks on. But it works. This 386 is humming along, burning up the pixels at a blinding speed of nearly 40mhz. Its all about nostalgia. My cd player, [rather than using my computer, as I usually do], I purchased somewhere in the early 1990s... cant remeber when really... i can date it pretty easily... The first cd I purchased was GnR's Use Your Illusion 2. But it was a year or so after it hit big... I did, however, wait in line to purchase the album on cassette when it came out. Anywho; the cd player is just churning out tunes from the mid 70s.... I havent listened to Boston in a while; although I've been in a sort of retro music phase of late. [one of the first things i did when i got home, was put on my newly aquired Deep Purple - Live in Tokyo album {{IN VINYL}} ]. So its just funny when you realize that everything that is technological in nature around you is not only vastly outdated, but its comforting for it to be that way; just for no other reason than to escape all the gadgets as they exist now. But the one thing i miss so far, is a standard sized keyboard and mouse... pluse that heaven-sent predictive text and error correction built into Word. Makes me wonder how I ever used to type before this! Really the only time I may even consider using something this basic for text entry would be for html. And about the time this particular machine was probably created, the commercial world realized something called; the internet. This crate was packaged before Internet Explorer was around.... hell back to when the world was contrainted to 8 character long file names. Kinda puts it in perspective, and it kind of doesnt. Lots of other technology may seem superior nowadays, but some of it still hangs on. Cars are a good example. For as efficient and safe as antilock brake systems are; the vast majority of cars on the road, and off the production lines are still using front disc, and rear drum confingurations... unless your a truck or something heavy duty... then its either all drum or some air-braking system... either way; weve been manufacturing cars, and stopping accidents with this same system for decades, and even though the technology supports a change, we cling to the past. Same thing with automatic transmissions. Eventhough they are in a majority of cars produced; manuals are still in great demand... infact some vehicles still dont even come with the option for automatic. Manual shifting damn-near pre-dates the car its self, and its likely to be here for a while to come. To me its interesting.

ain't it fun~
s.

No comments: