Sunday, December 17, 2006

You know what... I really wish I'd keep up my penmanship. Really. The only time I really force myself to use good, legible longhand, is the Christmas Card season, and I hate that. Writting, by hand, really has no point anymore. And even if you come up with an occasion to do so, so many people of my age group can't write in cursive correctly, and most definitely can't read it. It's pathetic. Much like watches, we use only digital displays now. Appearantly the world moves so fast, all we can do is glance at a digital display, to spare us the precious miliseconds that we'd waste on a dial and recognition of its placement to interpret time. Sigh. Anyhow. Now that I'm done with Christmas Card season, I don't have much of an excuse to write anything. As usual, I go out, and buy a new set of pens, [God bless the Pilot pen company!], these are what I prefer , and I start out writting. Problem is, the first 4 to 5 letters look awful. To everyone that opens up their letters this year, to find something that a brain dead kitten wrote, I appologize. But it bugs me that I get that far out of practice. I remember the first year I did this, I had to look up how to write down certain letters in the alphabet. Seriously. The only time I ever use longhand anymore is to sign my name to something. I hate it. So now is the time of year, when I've gotten back into practice, but have no use. Eventually, I'll subside my rants... my cursive portion of the brain will atrophy, and I'll return to printing if I can't type something. Sigh. Eventually I'll be ok with it. I have to be. Just think, how many people actually carry a pen with them? A pen they use purely because it writes well... come on, stop lying. No one. You all carry pens, because they are cheap, free, or funny colored ink. And if you didn't have to sign a check, or a credit card slip, you probably wouldn't have them. Me? I carry a pen with me because it writes very well. Here again. I'm an idiot. I also carry a pocket watch. Sans digital output. In fact, that fucker is entirely mechanical in operation--- no batteries! How many people are like that, that you know? None. Here again, this is why I'm lonely and have no one to write to... Because there just aren't enough idiots out there like me any more. No one carries a nice watch, and no one has a freaking pen. And if they did, they dont have time to look at it, nor do they know how to write with it. Am I being too hard on people? No. Look at pants-holder-uppers. Two kinds; belts and suspenders [or braces as grandpa would call them], are really youre only choices. People use the belt. Why? Because they can't figure out how to adjust suspenders! Masterminding the process of assembling then self-attiring in suspender's exacberates the mind of modern Americans. So. We end up with the belt. A rope with holes in it. Really. Its a strip of dead animal with holes in it. Knots look tacky, so we find a way to fasten it to itself using holes. We got a rope, we got holes, we got ourselves a belt. Ta da. Thats a belt. Thats it. It doesn't require time, effort, or intellegence to operate a rope. Suspenders? Fuck!?! These have to button in first, then adjust... sometimes in 4 places, then you have to slide into them, putting them over your shoulders, and re-adjusting as needed. Too much. Give me the rope! Sigh. I also like suspenders. So the list grows. Suspenders. Pocket watch. Fountain pen. But I draw the line at the bowtie. I can't get behind that one. Only a group of men, with more seclusion than I can attain, can and do espouse the bowtie. Alas, its not for me. But I do have; suspenders, pocket watches, and fountain pens.

No comments: